It takes approximately 25 minutes of solo pleasuring and one orgasm to burn off a glass of red and wedge of camembert.
Sounds like a pretty bloody good deal to me.
See, not only do orgasms feel good, they produce a wide range of health benefits for the lucky lady, regardless of whether that orgasm was the product of sexual intercourse or the use of sex toys. Surely that’s even more justification to enjoy some ‘happy vibing’.
The clitoris’ sole function is pleasure, and is the cause of around 70% of all women’s orgasms. When aroused, blood surges into the clitoral bulbs, and makes the vagina responsive to sexual pleasure.
So that’s the ‘science’ part of orgasms out of the way, but what are the other health benefits?
- Orgasms keep lady bits healthy. The extra stimulation causes blood to rush into the genital tissue which keeps it supple and refreshed.
- Masturbation and orgasms help relieve depressive emotions. As we become aroused the hormone levels of dopamine and epinephrine, both of which increase happiness, increase rapidly in our bodies. So when a pick me up is in order, reach for the vibrator instead of the chocolate.
- Orgasms help women sleep better and get to sleep quicker. Masturbation can help work against insomnia naturally, through hormonal and tension release, and is a far healthier option than sleeping pills. Dopamine, or the “feel-good” hormone, rises during the anticipation of a sexual climax. After the climax, the calming hormones oxytocin, which calms and soothes, are released, making us feel the warm afterglow that helps us sleep.
- Quite possibly, sex and the use of sex toys is THE most fun way to burn calories. In fact, according to some estimates, you can burn up to 200 calories with a half-hour session.
An orgasm alone is estimated to burn between 60 and 100 calories (that’s a glass of red right there). It’s in the “plateau” stage of orgasm that the pelvic floor gets a real workout. Here, the clitoris surges with increased blood pressure. Muscle tone, heart rate, and respirations increase. The uterus “lifts” off the pelvic floor, thereby increasing pelvic muscle tension. This strengthens the entire region, as well as sexual satisfaction.
Even just ‘missionary’ or lying down with a toy burns up to 40 calories per minute. Other ‘positions’ work other muscles and burn even more calories:
- Gettin’ busy standing up is obviously going to be a little harder than horizontal version. It’s a tricky one to master, and often requires the lady to don a pair of ultra high heels (thereby also working her calves);
- Wrapping legs around a man and gripping tightly is a great workout for the inner thighs, and can be incorporated easily into a lot of positions;
- In Pilates, a common move, called the bridge, requires the participant to lie on their back, knees bent and hip width apart, and raise the hips to form a bridge. It’s a great workout for the bum and things. Adding sex to the equation, with the guy kneeling between the ladies legs, adds to the health factor, with this position believed to burn 65 calories a minute.
- Anything that requires balance is a great work out for the core. Simply lifting one foot while on top forces your body to stabilize itself, activating the stomach muscles (either that, or you fall off…)
These are just some of the many health benefits of sex and orgasms. But sex and the use of sex toys is also fun and natural; if we were lucky enough to be born with a bodily part built purely for pleasure, surely we owe it to ourselves to use it?